You don't have to learn any complicated mathematical formulas or use a carbon footprint calculator to determine your carbon footprint. This is the down and dirty...
1) The average North American's impact is 20 metric tons of carbon per year.
2) Your carbon footprint comes from 4 main components which are housing, transportation, food, and your consumption of products & services.
3) Your floor, no matter how much you try and reduce your impact, is 8.5 metric tons. The average is 20, and if you're a jet setter, corporate executive, family of 8 you can reach 30 metric tons.
4) Lets take the average, then, of 20 tons. 1 tree can absorb 48 pounds of carbon per year. No clue how many pounds are in 1 ton? I did the math for you: 2204 pounds are in 1 ton.
5) If you divide 2204 by 48, you get 45.91666667. Round it up and you've got 46 trees absorbing 1 ton of carbon dioxide each year. 46 trees x 20 tons = 920 trees needed to absorb the average North American's carbon footprint in a year. That's a lot of trees.
Want to reduce your impact? Start with 1 ton – plant 46 trees today!
Comments will be approved before showing up.