You don't have to learn any complicated mathematical formulas or use a carbon footprint calculator to determine your carbon footprint.
Here are some stats:
1. The average North American's impact is 20 metric tons of carbon per year.
2. Your carbon footprint comes from 4 main components: housing, transportation, food, and consumption of products & services.
3. Your floor, no matter how hard you try to reduce your impact, is 8.5 metric tons. The average is 20 tons, and if you're a jet setter, corporate executive, or family of 8, you can easily reach 30 metric tons.
4. Let's consider the average (20 tons). 1 tree can absorb 48 pounds of carbon per year. (No clue how many pounds are in 1 ton? It's 2204 pounds.)
5. If you divide 2204 by 48, you get 45.91666667. Round it up and you've got 46 trees absorbing 1 ton of carbon dioxide each year. 46 trees x 20 tons = 920 trees needed to absorb the average North American's carbon footprint in a year.
That's a lot of trees!
Want to reduce your impact? Choose a region and plant some trees today!
We plant trees on 4 continents around the world. Want to choose where yours are planted?
by Matt Hill
Chief Environmental Evangelist